Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Firemen, but no Fire!

I have a million things to do right now, but just had to share what happened this morning!  Every Wednesday I go to a bible study/small group that meets at our church.  Preston was unusually fussy this morning so I was anxious to get him in the car...knowing he would settle down b/c he likes car rides.  So as I'm strapping him in his car seat he grabs my keys and is playing with the buttons....pressing them all, and listening to the horn honk as he repeatedly locks and unlocks the doors.  I quickly grab the keys, start the car, close the doors, and run inside the house b/c I had forgotten my bag.  I run back out only to find that the door won't open and is LOCKED. with. my. child. inside!  He's strapped in his car seat and is happily waving to me from inside!  My heart sinks.  I immediately called Jason (he always knows what to do) and explain what I've done.  He races home and starts working on getting the door open, but also calls a locksmith-just in case.  The locksmith says that he'll be a while, and in the meantime Preston is starting to wonder why he's the only one in the car...lots of tears follow, and the more he sees me the harder he cries.  So I just sit down by the car.  I called Nat to tell her what happened and that I wouldn't be at bible study, but to please pray that we get him out of the car quickly.  I was not panicking, but feeling very helpless.  I got a text back from her saying to call the fire dept!  Why did I not think of this?
I called the dept and the lady that answered said this was an emergency and she would connect me to 9-1-1.  wow, really?  
I told the 9-1-1 operator what happened and he immediately dispatched a truck.  They arrived within minutes, and had the doors open in no time!  
Thank you Amy for the tip to call the fire dept!  So, if this ever happens to you, now you know what to do!  or maybe you already knew.  
And just so you know Preston was all smiles when the fireman took him out of the car!  But is somewhat traumatized because I did end up going to what was left of b.study and as soon as I put him back in the car he started crying, and did not stop!

A few things to note before you judge too harshly:
*The air was running in the truck.
*Had the air not been running, I would have considered that an emergency and called 9-1-1.
*No, we don't have a spare key to the truck.  I lost it a long time ago in a move.
*I have never locked my keys in my car before...or my child!  This was a first for both!
*I was shocked at how fast they arrived at our house.  Honestly, this has been a concern of mine b/c we live on the edge of where 2 cities meet...so they call the department for the city we live in, but that's def. not the closest.  So after this little trial run today, I am confident that if our house ever caught on fire it might not totally burn down.
*The firemen were working on both doors at the same time, but with different techniques.  One of the techniques was exactly what J was doing earlier before they got there.  I think J would have had the door open given a little more time.  You're still my hero, babe! ;)
*And yes, all this happened on my birthday.  I will remember this birthday for a long time to come!  Plus, I'm not counting anymore birthdays after this one anyway!!

17 comments:

~The Neaves Nest~ said...

OH NO! I would havae freaked out. At least you were somewhat calm! Happy birthday too!! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Christi said...

we have been there before!!!! you are not alone - it is scary.

I am thankful they were able to be there so quickly. I am glad to know to call the fire dept. I wouldn't have thought of that either.

andrea said...

oh my gosh! kris - i'm so sorry! i bet it was so scary for you and for poor little p!
hope your birthday was happy otherwise! love and miss you!!!

Marie(Mimi) said...

Kristyn,
I did the same thing with Jason and Julie strapped in there car seats at 11 oclock at night!!
The air was running also.
We were about to break a window when we finally got the door open.
So traumatic!!
Hope you had a good bithday
1
Give Preston a kiss for me
Mimi(Marie)

Ellen said...

Kristyn,

I would feel so helpless also. Don't worry... no judgement... how many times have I done something like that? What a way to start your birthday... happy belated!

the nelsons said...

heidi did this same thing with adelle in the walmart parking lot. she just called my dad and he brought the fire dept himself =). works the same way! happy belated birthday!

The McGuire's said...

I'm so glad you posted this, it is a great fear of mine, and I would have waited on a locksmith, so now I know what to do. I'm sure that I will have a post like this one day. Glad it all worked out!

Kristen said...

Happy belated birthday! Hope you had a good one!

Elizabeth said...

Happy Belated Birthday, and boy what an adventure...too bad Preston won't remember it. He could be telling EVERYONE what happened for you!!!

Dan, Ashleigh - Izzie and Levi said...

I'm so sorry you had to face that. I don't think I know a mother who doesn't have a similar story.
I had a crazy experience that same day! The story's on the blog. So is P still freaked out about getting in the car?

The Clarks said...

Wow! Good to know about the FD. How scary! All on your b-day too...sounds like something that would happen to me!

Lauren Williams said...

BLESS YOUR HEART! what a nightmare! good for you staying calm! what a good mother :)

Those Tonnes said...

What an awful start to your birthday. I am so glad the air was running in the car, however. I am so glad the fire department came so quickly. Hopefully Preston doesn't hate going into cars now.

Leigh said...

I'm always sorry that this happens. But a lot of parents do this, so you're not alone for sure. I did this when Noah was 1 and I was pregnant. Our alarm on the car automatically locks 30 secs after the car turns off. I was pumping gas and realized that the keys were in the car, with my son. It was August and about a million degrees outside. We called the fire dept and an ambulance even came too. It's horrible watching your child cry and there's nothing you can do about it. They got him out right when I was about to just break the window. Noah was soaking wet because of sweating, but the paramedics said he was fine. Whew! I wish there was a way to keep a extra key on me at all times. And it hasn't happened since.

Those Tonnes said...

The Lord has been speaking to me a lot in pictures lately. Glad He used my post for His glory today. Hope that no more fireman have been called.

"Equally intoxicated by Sunflowers and Brandy" said...

OH MY GOSH. TIGER? DO YOU REMEMBER ME? You were my counsler at Chi alpha!! weird! haha i'm so glad i came across your blog!!

mandy said...

i can totally picture that happening to me. glad to hear the happy ending.